Saturday, December 24, 2005

Delight

"... forrrty sevenn...forty eight... forrty neine- *big man with pony tail and specs, dressed in jeans, rattles off in a placating grown..*

"... fifffty... fiffty onne... hey, you know who's fifty one? You know? Well Nanny is, Nanny's fifty one!"

"But I don't want to-" *whines a three-year-old girl sitting opposite the coffee table*

"But you have to, dear. We are playing a little game here, aren't we? We are seeing if we can count till hundred, and whether Anne can-"

"But I donnnnnnnnnnn't want to-"

"But it's fun, Anne. Now where was I? Daddy lost count... can you tell me what number we were at? Anne? Okay, let's start over again-
"Onnee... twooo... thurree... foourr... faaaive..."

*some time passes by, as I'm lost in thought... the next time I hear them-*

"You missing Nanny? No-nonono-... you need to hold the drink with both hands, okay? Like theeeesss... there you go! Hey, isn't this brownie yummy? So yummy in the tummy..."

"But I DONNN'T WANT TOOOOO-"