Tuesday, June 07, 2005

An incomplete illusion of inertia

It's a bright day and the sun feels hot on the skin. Maybe it felt hotter yesterday, at the beach, lying down on K's "hoodie", as she likes to call it. But there was a cool breeze then, every second or two, brushing the sands off my face, soothing the births of baby tans on my cheeks. I looked like a God after my shower this morning. My fiancée loves the colour of my shoulders, she says she does not like the idea of me getting a tan before I show up late summer. I wouldn't like a tan either - but the sun is hot, and it tempts.

I've been thinking of catching up on writing. It's been a lazy spring. I should have written more. I had time. A couple of weeks back, on my way back from somewhere, on the bus, looking out from the window, I had had a glimpse of a thought. I do not remember what it was - all I do remember is that I had decided to name the piece : Illusion, inertia, ... and something else. The third word, if I'd remembered it, might have helped me trace the connection between the first two. But I don't remember anything else about it now. Not even that, that had triggered the thought. Something, seemingly precious, has been lost.

What was the connection? What did I intend to write? I cannot get it out of my head. The sun is hot. Had I discovered that I'd wrapped myself in a state of inertia, and intended to break that illusion in some way? Or had I hit upon inertia as a means to end some illusion I'd discovered I was in? And what was the other, missing word? I remember it began with an "i" - I was excited about the three "i"s in the title.

There's a cool breeze now. I had almost decided to leave, and lie down in the shade for some time. The breeze, the cunning breeze, is making me stay back. I should leave, though. I would not like a tan.